- How do I install the barcode program?
- What printer models are supported?
- What barcode symbologies are supported?
- Does is run with 'Microsoft Windows'?
- Are there any other limitations?
- How does registration works?
- Download the package for your operating system. You can download the file to any of the directories on your system. Notice its byte size provided on the download page.
- Once the download has completed, compare that file size to the size of the downloaded file to make sure they are equal.
- Extract the package on the target system as user root:
a) File extension = tgz? tar -xvf <filename>.tgz
b) File extension = tar.Z? uncompress <filename>.tar.Z and then tar -xvf <filename>.tar
- Now try to get the help page by entering ./barcode -h
- If you can see see help page without any warnings, everything is OK.
- Executing example.sh should create file example.pcl. This file contains different demo barcodes and can be printed on any PCL printer (e.g. by lp -oraw -dmyprinter example.pcl). The printed result should look like the supplied PDF-File example.pdf.
BARCODE supports laser printers, using Hewlett Packard's* popular PCL 5e (e.g. LJ4, LJ5, etc.).
Many actual laser printer 'understand' PCL 5e whereas dot matrix and ink jet printers don't
In the actual version the following barcode types are supported:
- QR Code (2D)
- Datamatrix (2D)
- GTIN-13 / EAN-13
- GTIN-12 / UPC-A
- Codabar ( = 'Code 2of7')
- Code39 ( = 'Code 3of9')
- Code39 extended
- GS1-128 (EAN128)
- Interleaved 2of5
- MSI / Modified Plessey
(see here for a PDF example).
The short anwer is: No!
Due to the special working mode BARCODE is an ideal UNIX tool.
In the actual version the following limitation exists, but can easily be extended:
- max. barcode data lenght = 13880 characters
- max. plain text length = 256 characters
If you are satisfied with the results of the BARCODE program, you can get a registration id, which eliminates the restrictions of the download version. For the actual registration modalities see here.